In the middle of the village stands the Venetian tower castle which has been there for centuries, overlooking the northern Evoikos Sea. According to some scholars the tower castle of Rovies was built by William II of Villehardouin, prince of Achaia during the war against the Venetians on the island between 1255 and 1258. Near the village, at "Araklis" aka "Heraklion" location there is a picturesque bay with a long and beautiful pine beach.
The area of Rovies has been inhabited since the Paleolithic era. Rovies has been identified as the ancient city Orovie. As mentioned by Thucydides and Strabo in ancient times there was a city named Orovisi near the city of Aiges (Limni), where Hercules and Apollo were worshiped. In honour of the latter there was a famous oracle that was known as the Oracle of Apollo Selinountios.
The city of Orovie was destroyed by terrible earthquakes and the tsunami that followed during the sixth year of the Peloponnesian War (426 BC), according to the narrative of Thucydides (III, 89). In 1925, following the agreement on population exchange, Greek refugees who came mainly from Constantinople settled in the village.
An influential personality in Rovies was Anna Papadopoulou nee Melas, sister of the great hero of the Macedonian struggle Pavlos Melas. Anna Papadopoulou a volunteer during the Balkan Wars was the first woman to be awarded the Order of the Redeemer in 1914 and the Silver Medal award for virtue and self-sacrifice in 1928. For her contribution she had been named "Mother of the Army”. The last decade an important archaeological discovery was made just outside the village (2 km. on the road to Ilia): the Ancient Oracle of Rovies, dated in the 6 th -5th century B.C.
Rovies includes the settlements of Marouli, Agiannakos, Kalamioudi, Koulouros, Paliohori Damia and Drimonas as well as the renowned Osiou David Gerontos Monastery. We should also mention the existence around Rovies area of the newly established Monastery of Agia Irene Chrysovalantou. This monastery is built in an exquisite location very close to the road of Limni-Rovies-Aidipsos, in place of an older monastery, Taxiarchis.
Rovies is located along the Limni-Edipsos road, 95 km Northwest of Chalkida, 14 km from Limni and 24km from Istiaia via Voutas.